Life on the River

A Journey unfolding.

Saturday, July 09, 2005

If your gonna lose, then lose with Aces I guess.

Our Friday Night Game


Congrats to my old man on beating my ass heads up yet again. He's probably the last one I want to go down to the wire against but hell, at least the Goots boys took home all the dough in the end. More on that later.

We began with 14 people tonight at two tables. I drew the last slip of paper with #5 on it and that got me a seat at the octagon table that would become the final table (you already know how I feel about the other table) so things were off to a good start. Everyone had thier 1000 in starting chips and we started to shuffle up. Blinds start at $10 and $20 and go up each hour.

The first hand each week I always seem to be involved heavily and this was no exception. I get dealt A 10s UTG and I throw in a nice raise of $100 and I get two callers. In comes the new guy Wesley Ross, who calls and chases everything and Bosey who just likes to see the flop. I flopped a pair of tens and bet big. Wesley calls and Bosey drops out. I can't remember the turn and river but I kept betting and Wesley called each bet until he made two pair and I was the short stack after the 1st hand. Not unusual.

Everyone was playing kinda tight and we had no eliminations for the first 50 minutes or so. Until this hand. I'm in the BB with 78 offsuit and Eddie Rebuys is UTG on my left. Eddie stepped across the room to grab bite and I shouted out to see if he wanted to call the bet blind and he said "put me In", so I did. 6-7 people limped in and we had a family pot.
The Flop came 10 6 4 rainbow. I check and Eddie bets out $80 into a pot of about $140. We get one fold and five callers before it comes back around to me at which point the pot odds were so yummy that I plunked down $80 to try and catch my gutshot straight.

The Turn was a Trey, giving me a double gutshot straight draw and I check again. The pot is $640 and Eddie spikes down a stack of $200 and runs off everyone at the table but me. With 8 outs to the nuts I was peppared to chase it so I called.

The River is a Cosmos fattening 9 and all of a sudden I am holding the mortal nuts. I change gears like Dan Harrington says to and I throw in a curious bet of $100 and take a sip of my beer. I've never tasted Chewbacca's ass but my beer was getting a bit warm. For eddies part he seems defiant as he comes over the top of my show of timidity with a raise of his own for $200. I throw him a piercing glare then glance back at my chips pretending to be "on the morphine drip" as Vince Van Patton says. I count out what chips I have left which amounts to about 700 and I reluctantly ease them forward into the pot and try to look worried. Now remember, Eddie called the original bet without seeing his cards so I have no idea what he has at this point, but who gives a rats ass. I got the nuts. He calls as he mutters the words "I should have pushed this hand harder" and turns over my least favorite hand, Pocket Jacks. So long Sammy, see you in Miami.

After Eddie busted out so soon I brought up something that I had been wanting to for awhile. I suggested that he be allowed to buy back into the game. We brought it up for a vote and nearly everyone agreed to allow rebuys each week from now on until the first raise of the blinds. So Eddie got back in and we decided to use his 2nd $20 to pay out a third place position. In retrospect, I should have asked to raise the 2nd place prize. To make matters worse for Eddie, I ended up busting him out a second time only 30 minutes later.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Chip Count at my table 9:05pm
Me 2340
TJ 1360
Wesley 190
Sam zorro
Bosey 130
Tommy 1440
----------------------------------------------------------------

TJ decided to push all in with his QJo having dropped down to 680 in chips. Wesley likes his KJo enough to speculate for his last 430 and with my big stack and Kc10c on the button I like the price so I call. Wesley's J kicker is enough to take it down when 5 babies fall and we lose "Food Lion"

The Hand of the Week is brought to you in part by Card Club on Lord Admiral Radio. This week the hand was between "Action" Tommy and myself. Tommy was sitting directly to my right with the second biggest stack at the table and he limps in as usual. I turn around and show TJ that I am holding his hand (TJ Cloutier, or J9) and he proceeds to take his former seat at the table to watch the hand.

The Flop comes AAJ giving me two pair. The action is on Tommy who tosses in a bet of $100 at a pot of over $600. I initially put him on an ace of some sort but for some reason I decide to make the call out of spite. Everyone else folds out.
The Turn makes things interesting when another Jack falls to the felt giving me a FH and what I assume gives Tommy the nut FH. Tommy bets $200 and I call in a shot as Phil Gordon says. As the dealer thumps his fist and burns a card, TJ mutters "put another Jack out there", knowing that I hold the J9. I blurt out "please don't do that !" and as if on cue, the Poker Gods descend and deliver the preternaturally miraculous Jack of Diamonds to complete my suckout of a lifetime.

QUAD JACKS knock off Tommys Aces over Jacks FH. I appologized and gave him my last cigar and watch him walk away from the table a broken man.

Here's the odds of me winning the hand after that flop. Just scroll down to and feast your eyes. Take a guess first to see if your close.


FINAL TABLE
Me
<------to the left
Jack
Jimbo
Wesley
Toby
Bosey
Ronnie

How they fell.
Wesley chased one to many hands. Out.
Ronnie never had any cards. Out.
Toby reraised me all in with K9o and I called with A8h. Out.
Jack ran into a hand where I wasn't paying attention. Out.
Bosey was brought down by my dad with two pair. Out.

Heads Up ! Me and my old man for the second time. Blinds of $200 - $400 and it's only 11:15pm.

We were about even in chips and we played a few small pots to start out. Then on the 4th or 5th hand I employed one of my new favorite techniques by calling from the small blind without looking at my hole cards. Jimbo hadn't been watching me as I called blind and I watched him peer down at his cards. I immediately got the feeling that he didn't have a very strong hand and my suspicions were confirmed when he just checked.

The Flop comes down J82 rainbow and Dad checks. Finally I look down at my hole cards and squeeze out the mother of all hands. ACE ACE. So I fire in a pot sized raise to make it look like I'm buying it. Dad calls.
The Turn is the 10c putting two clubs on the board but that doesn't concern me. There are no straights on the boards either. So I plunk down another big raise of $1000. I would explain to him later that calling this $1000 as a 5-1 underdog was a real mistake, but he did.
The River brings us another 8 and he moves all in for his last $4000 or so. I can't turn my cards over fast enough, flinging the bullets across the table in his direction defiantly.
He pauses a moment and shoots a glance towards the board, knowing he was beat. Dads concerned look quickly gave way to a crooked smile as he realized not only had he won with his shitty Q 8, but cracked my aces in doing so. Now I have to ride home with this S.O.B. and hear about it for another half hour.

But hey, that's 4 straight cashes for me at the World Series of Ronnies. Two firsts a second and another first, although at the losers table. Thanks for stopping by.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home