Life on the River

A Journey unfolding.

Sunday, May 29, 2005

They call me Steven

6 hours of poker and I break even.

Let's just get it out of the way and say I didn't win this week and I was never really in contention. I never gathered up many chips all nite and there weren't any bad beats or monster pots that came my way. A graceful exit with AJ shortstacked that came up against AQ for TJ and I was off to the losers lounge to punch Phil Gordon and take his lunch money.

Who had the chips ? Well, Johnny Calls managed to drag home a fair ammount of chips with his "call everything" and fold if you don't hit strategy.

Johnny and TJ were locked in an ongoing battle that eventually saw TJ exit stage left in his 3rd straight week in 3rd place.

The hand of the night saw Toby down to his last 30 chips with KQ and Cousin BJ decided to go all in with his measley pocket Aces. Like I said, Toby had BJ covered by 3 white chips and when the flop came out with the beautiful Ace of Spades BJ lept into the air and Toby sank into his chair. The dealer dropped the deck and was prepared to start shuffling for the next hand when I remarked that Toby had a straight draw since a 10 was on board and he only needed a Jack to win. So Johnny grabs up the deck, burns a card and turns over a Deuce of Diamonds. At this point BJ is glaring at me wishing I had kept my mouth shut. He seems to know what is coming as he stares at me while I watch the river card fall. JACK !!! The 4 outer hits and BJ leaves stunned.



Toby then proceeds to go on to win the whole tournament and $200. Not since Jack Treetop Strauss has the poker world seen such a turnaround of fortunes.

Thankfully, we had enough people to start a round of Turbo $5 SNGs at the second. Jimbo took down one of them and so did BJ. The last $5 SNG had 8 people in it for a prize of $40. I played like the grinder you all know me to be and I took that one down. I came with two $20's in my pocket and I left with two different ones. Even Steven.

Next Week is the $50 buy in Championship event. Stay Tuned.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home