Life on the River

A Journey unfolding.

Monday, May 16, 2005

A hand on the face makes you a great poker player.

Alfredo 'Toto' Leonidas. The Professor Howard Lederer. John D'Agostino. Joe Cassidy.

What do these players have in common ? They all play cards with one hand and they all have make a decent living playing cards. I suppose the secret to success is resting one hand under your chin in some fashion while playing.

What does this accomplish ? Phil Helmuth takes it one step further by putting both hands to his mouth (many wish he would do this 24/7). Maybe that is why he is the only World Champ out of this group. Is is a way to disguise tells ? One less hand to fumble your chips with and give away your pocket aces ? Puffy jackets to hide your heart pounding, sunglasses to hide your lying eyes, and hats of every sort to pimp your Online Poker backers, hide your bald head and shield your twitching face. Will Caro be out with a new book on Poker Fashion any time soon ? I think he is missing the boat.

I was just watching a replay of the 2004 US Poker Championships on my Replay TV again and never noticed how many players had this same quirky habit. Maybe I'll incorporate it into my Friday nite game this week and take home the dough.

On that note, we have set June 10th as our first Championship Tourney with a buy-in of $50. We expect at least 15 people for it and will pay out three places.
My guess is $500 $200 and $50. I can't wait.

a few friends for you to visit.


Slacker Astronomy

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home